Submitted Nomination of UHPA Faculty Demonstrating our Principles in Action: Nominee name Deborah A. Goebert and Jeanelle J. Sugimoto-Matsuda Nominee Campus, Dept Manoa, Dept of Psychiatry & Office of Public Health Studies Which of the principles does your submission best demonstrate? Serving the Community Why is this faculty member worthy of your nomination? Dr. […]
University of Hawai‘i faculty are committed to making our island home a better place to live, learn, and work. It is our kuleana (responsibility) to share our experience and knowledge with the community. We are deeply committed to, and vested in, communities across our state, particularly to enabling our youth to follow their dreams and develop their full potential while keeping a connection to their island roots.
Committed to Academic Excellence
- As leaders and experts in our respective fields, we are passionate about high-quality research and teaching, we are proud and committed to sharing our knowledge through our intellectual products, publications, inventions, talks, and teaching, as well as interactions with students and community members.
- We are self-directed researchers and teachers who act with integrity, and we are passionate about upholding professional standards in research and education, including accreditation of UH campuses across all islands and remote-site locations of programs that provide equity and diversity.
- We are committed to maintaining the quality of education and research of the University of Hawai‘i System including its R1, top-tier research university.
- We are continuously engaged in self-improvement in response to grant, journal, and book reviewers, editors, and various groups and communities we serve.
Committed to the Success of Our Students
- We rally to support students and help them succeed. We are accessible and fair to them.
- As faculty, it is our responsibility to recommend students for graduation across all 10 University of Hawai‘i campuses, and we are proud to confer well deserved degrees.
- In a reciprocal manner, our students inspire us through evaluations and feedback to be the best professors and mentors.
Committed to Serving the Community
- We are involved in day-to-day campus activities and engaged in committees to enhance the quality of life for all beneficiaries of the University of Hawaiʻi system.
- Our professional commitment includes extension and public service. We leverage our expertise and experience to make Hawai‘i a better place to live, now and for future generations.
- We are integrated into the community and welcome feedback to be of better service.
Committed to Supporting the Local Economy
- We play a vital role in supporting the local economy by securing hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and private funding each year for research, thereby creating jobs and paid learning opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students.
- We are proud to receive fair compensation for our work and are glad to be able to extend funds to support others in the community.
- By developing innovative programs, we help Hawai‘i to diversify its economy and become more resilient.