ARTICLE VIII, FACULTY TRAVEL
A. PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS
In recognition of the value in Faculty Members attending professional meetings as part of their normal professional activity and their professional development, the Employer agrees to facilitate the travel of Faculty Members to professional meetings insofar as is possible without interfering with maintaining the efficiency of University operations within available funds.
B. PER DIEM
The Employer’s present rules and regulations on Travel Policies and Procedures shall be amended to provide for the following:
1. Intra–State Travel
a. When Faculty Members are required to travel on official business to other islands within the State of Hawaii for a duration of greater than twelve (12) hours or overnight, they shall be provided with a travel allowance consisting of: (1) a fixed sum defined as the Hawaii Meal and Incidental Expense (HM&IE) in the Employer’s Travel Policies and Procedures that shall be greater than or equal to $50 and less than or equal to the applicable federal allowance for meals and incidental expenses; plus (2) reimbursement of actual lodging expenses not to exceed the federal lodging allowance. For travel less than twelve (12) hours, the Employer will reimburse the Faculty Member for the actual expense of one (1) meal not to exceed $20.00.
b. In the case of official travel time involving a fraction of a day greater than twelve (12) hours, the allowable claim shall be in terms of quarter-day periods measured from midnight. For purposes of computing the travel allowance, the quarter-day shall commence in accordance with check-in requirements.
2. Out–of–State Travel
a. When Faculty Members are required to travel on official business to areas outside the State of Hawaii, they shall be provided a travel allowance consisting of either the federal per diem rate or a mutually agreed upon flat dollar amount not to exceed the federal per diem rate.
b. In the case of official travel time involving a fraction of a day, the allowable claim shall be in terms of quarter-day periods, with the quarter-day periods measured from midnight. Unless otherwise authorized by the Employer, allowable travel time is the time necessary to travel by the most direct route to and from the points specified in the approved travel plan or request, plus the time necessary to conduct the required official business.
3. Nothing in this Article shall be interpreted to restrict a more liberal per diem payment (or other reimbursement) if such payment is provided by an external source of funding.
C. REIMBURSEMENT FOR PER DIEM RELATED EXPENSES EXCEEDING THE PER DIEM RATE
Requests for excess lodging expenses in excess of the applicable federal rate shall be reasonable, and shall be approved in advance of the Faculty Member’s trip. Requests for excess expenses shall require submittal of receipts prior to reimbursement.
D. MEAL AND INCIDENTAL EXPENSES
In order to provide freedom of choice in meal consumption, a Faculty Member shall not have the meal and incidental expense allowance reduced on the basis of meals included in conference programs.
E. TRAVEL OCCURRING ON SAME ISLAND
When Faculty Members with prior authorization from the Employer are required to work in locations which make it impracticable and undesirable to return home at the end of a workday, one (1) of the following shall apply:
1. If commercial lodging is utilized, the Faculty Member shall be paid a travel allowance at the rate provided in Paragraph B.1.; or
2. If the Employer provides lodging, an allowance consisting of the HM&IE as defined in Paragraph B.1.a shall be provided to the Faculty Member.
F. MILEAGE REIMBURSEMENT
The Employer’s present rules and regulations for reimbursing Faculty Members for use of their private vehicles when required to use such vehicles in carrying out their duties shall provide for reimbursement at the applicable federal mileage rate per mile traveled on business.
G. SUBSIDIZED PARKING AT UNIVERSITY CAMPUSES
1. The provisions of this section shall apply to Faculty Members under the following conditions:
a. The Faculty Member is required to use a personal vehicle for work purposes as a condition of employment; and
b. The Faculty Member is required to use a personal vehicle a minimum of 20 times or 200 miles per month on an on-going basis.
2. Faculty who meet the conditions specified in Paragraph 1 of this section shall be offered a University parking permit from among those parking permits allocated to the appropriate Dean/Director or Chancellor for assignment to employees.
3. The University parking rates for Faculty who meet the conditions specified in Paragraph 1 of this section shall be thirty percent (30%) of the applicable University parking rates, if any, approved and as may be amended by the Board of Regents.